Sunday, January 02, 2005

Playing A Super-Quick Ranked Player

Played a practice match with a friend of mine today who is ranked in the top 6 in the province of Ontario in our age category in the vets.

I lost a tight one ( 7-5 ,6-4) but there were so many interesting tactical considerations that I'm going to examine them over the next week.

The first thing was that this guy was one of the quickest guys that I've played in a long time. Also very steady and very smart, so you can imagine that it was a tough match.

My favourite baseline pattern is to hit inside-out forehands to my opponent's backhand. Then I'll either come in on a short ball or hit an inside -in forehand and attack on that.

This guy defended brilliantly by slicing his backhand up the line with tremendous accuracy. This not only made me run way over to my forehand side but it opened up the court and allowed him to use his quickness as he returned my next shot.

Moral of the story -- If you're being attacked by a player with a big inside -out forehand develop an up- the- line backhand to add to your arsenal and don't automatically go crosscourt.

Until next time,

Glenn
Author of INSIDER TENNIS STRATEGIES -- the Ebook on
tennis strategies and tactics that will help you become a smarter player fast.


No comments: