Friday, December 24, 2004

My Match Against A Good Tall Player

Hi again,

Played a buddy of mine yesterday. He's a very good player with an old school game. By that I mean he plays with fairly flat groundstrokes ,has a terrific slice backhand, comes to the net a lot, and is a great volleyer.

Often when people come to the net against me ,especially on the backhand side, I can hit a well-placed slice down the line forcing my opponent to move way over to the line in order to volley it. Then ,on the next shot ,I usually have a lot of court to shoot for.

But my tall buddy can easily reach most of these shots and angle them off so it's not that good a strategy against him.

Instead, I realized that against him I needed to go more for a winner on the first shot instead of playing the usual 2 shot sequence.

Same with lobbing. Because he's so tall, lobbing is not that good a strategy against him.

All this to show that the tactics may vary subtly against every opponent.

Until next time,

Glenn
Author of INSIDER TENNIS STRATEGIES --the EBOOK on tennis strategies and tactics that will help you become a smarter player fast.

No comments: