Sunday, July 30, 2006

Learning How To Play Your Best Tennis Against Lesser Competition

Recently, I've had the experience of playing in the early rounds of a club tournament and also playing doubles against ex-Davis Cuppers in a provincial championship.

Even though I won at the club but lost to the ex-Davis Cuppers, I felt I played far better in the loss.

As I think about my mental state as I played both matches, I would summarize the difference as following:

In the club match I played safe tennis. I didn't really swing through anything aggressively. It was good enough to win and I knew I was going to win.

In the tournament I went for everything. I rotated and really followed through because I knew just getting the ball back wasn't enough.

And, I ended up playing some great tennis and was complimented a number of times by my opponents.

The lesson I draw from all of this is that I must maintain that state of really going for it every time I step on the court, regardless of the competition.

I really believe it's that attitude which is one of the differences between good players who can compete at the top levels and the top echelon players who can always play and win at the top levels.

Glenn Sheiner M.D. - author of INSIDER TENNIS STRATEGIES The Ebook guaranteed to make you a smarter tennis player and take your tennis to the next level.

Technorati Tags

No comments: