Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Some Practical Doubles Tennis Strategies

tennis lessons online
I'm still waiting for my computer techs to sort out the problem with the tennis video software and hardware on my computer. So, for now, I have to put our foray into tennis video learning on hold.

In the meantime, I thought I'd talk about doubles tennis strategy.

I play in a good Sunday night men's doubles league. The guys playing one are usually 4.5 and up.

My favourite partner is a great returner with big groundstrokes. However, his serve is weak and he doesn't volley well for this level.

When we're both playing well we can beat anybody. But, too often his serve and volley dip at critical times. But to be fair, my game can go off too.

This last Sunday we started off slowly and lost the first set. Got bageled actually. Things weren't looking good and it looked to be a short night. As one of our opponents joked as we enjoyed a beer after the match, " After the first set I thought I'd be home in time for the Sopranos."

We were on serve at 3-3 in the second set when my partner got broken. They held, I held and they were serving for the match. We finally broke back to even the second set at 5-5.

We were playing on clay and my partner's second serve was getting hammered. I couldn't help much with poaching because of how hard the other guys were ripping the returns.

So, we decided that my partner would not serve and volley. He would serve and stay back. I would agressively hug the net looking to pick off easy shots and if they got by me, my partner would rip heavy low topspin shots and dare the other team to hit volley winners.

This change in tennis strategy seemed to calm my partner down. Now, instead of having to worry about his weakest shot - the volley- he could forget about that and just do what he does best, which is rip incredibly big groundies that are really tough to volley.

His serving improved, we held at 5-5, and broke to win the second set 7-5.

We were on fire in the third set and won easily 6-2.

We both felt great afterwards because it was a win that was really due to good tennis strategy and tactics.

Anyway, this was just another match that was won by understanding the patterns and dynamics that are going on in a tennis match. To learn more about understanding tennis strategies and tactics check out my Ebook INSIDER TENNIS STRATEGIES

Glenn Sheiner M.D. - author of Insider Tennis Strategies A Tennis Ebook All About Tennis Strategy guaranteed to make you a smarter tennis player and take your tennis to the next level. Also, check out the world's top tennis humor screensaver
Tennis Cartoon Screensaver
. You can download a trial version for FREE.

Technorati Tags
Technorati Tags

No comments: